This historic mercantile building built in 1903 has been an integral part of the commercial downtown Ashland landscape through many generations. The owners undertook this comprehensive renovation and restoration project to not only modernize the out-of-date and inefficient interior retail spaces, but to restore the character of the original façade on East Main Street, while making the building safer for its customers and employees.
The major aesthetic improvements of this federally certified historic project included the restoration of the front façade, bringing back the original intricate detail at the cornice, the maintenance of the metal, wood, and glass storefront, and the reintroduction of a corrugated metal awning. The interior renovation involved several major architectural elements including the refinishing of the original Douglas fir floors, the restoration of the mezzanine and stairs, the repair of the original metal ceiling tiles, and the renovation of the basement space for additional retail space.
The majority of the expenditures and attention, however, was attributed to the seismic upgrade of the building, the complete renovation of the building’s electrical, mechanical, and lighting systems, and the significant upgrade to the building’s accessibility. All of these major building systems were completed with little or no compromise to the individual architectural elements and the historic building as a whole.
Architect—Robert Saladoff, Architect
Historical Consultant—George Kramer
Lighting Designer—Julia Rezek Lighting Design
Structural Engineer—Bioscape Engineering (formally TJ Bossard Engineering)
Mechanical and Electrical Engineers—Douglas Engineering
General Contractor—Robert Davis Construction